Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Happy Earth Day!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

 photo 686e7d00-d9ec-434f-a715-fb68689456e6.jpg
Love the Earth!



Good Morning!  We have a beautiful planet home, and today's a day to celebrate it!  My daughter is having Earth Day festivities at her school and a local park today, and I thought it would be fun to plan and prepare an Earth Day dinner.

MENU:

Fresh tomato bruschetta on French rounds
Sautéed Spring Vegetables
Key Lime Pie

Many years ago, I saved a recipe card for the Sautéed Spring Vegetables from Martha Stewart Living.  We've enjoyed the recipe over the years, and I tweaked it just a little by adding a vinaigrette.  I think it's smart to eat food while it's in season, and I hope to eat even more locally grown produce this summer and autumn.

Sautéed Spring Vegetables

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
6 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
6 ounces asparagus (green and/or white), tough ends trimmed, cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
6 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed, strings removed, and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
6 ounces cherry tomatoes (yellow and/or orange), cut in half (I like the yellow ones best.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup basil leaves, torn in half


Directions:
1.   Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and carrots; cook 2 minutes. Add beans, asparagus, and sugar snap peas; cook until tender but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer vegetables to a large bowl of iced water to cool. Drain again.
2.   Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add blanched vegetables, tomatoes, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Raise heat to medium high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
3.   Remove from heat, add basil, and toss to combine.

To make the vinaigrette you'll need:

¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice (try a Meyer lemon)
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. Dijon mustard

Whisk all the ingredients together and pour over warm vegetables.


I set a simple table, keeping the same napkin rings and placemats from Easter.


 photo 88ae4cd9-b4f4-424b-80eb-c26f4a3dfbde.jpg
 photo 1bb05a35-82b4-4cb3-b197-5e9ae975e51e.jpg


RESOURCES:

Chargers and napkin rings:  Pier 1
Flatware:  Horchow
Dinner plates and flower pot:  MacKenzie-Childs Taylor Collection
Recycled wine bottle glasses:  Olive & Cocoa
Napkins:  Yves Delorme
Terra cotta votives: Vintage eighties
Marin floral salad plates:  Crate & Barrel (currently on sale for $4.95)

Are you participating in any Earth Day festivities today?

Until next time…

Blessings!
Ricki Jill

13 comments

  1. It's Earth Day? I can't keep up with all these special days. Good thing I posted about pansies today! Enjoy your Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea Ricki! Everything sounds delicious:) Happy Earth Day! xxleslie

    new address is www.4aroundthetable.com/feed/
    I've updated you on my blog roll ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table looks so pretty, Ricki Jill, and your menu sounds so light and perfect for a nice Spring evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so pretty. The C&B plates are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! The sautéed vegetables sound delicious. Your table setting is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be a good day for a hike! Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tablescapes are always SO BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't decide if I should make your wonderful recipes or get Steve to take me out to dinner. 44 years ago today, Steve and I cut our night time English class to watch the first ever Earth Day celebrations on campus. We have been together since that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! The dishes sound delicious. Key lime pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went outside, even in the rain...that's pretty much it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table is gorgeous, and the menu sounds delicious. Very green!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated Happy Earth Day to you. You celebrated it beautifully. Love your place settings and your veggie mix-up- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram