Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Literary Friday: The Light Between Oceans and Summer Reading

Friday, June 7, 2013

It's summer, and I'm happy to report that I have a pretty good summer reading list.  I'm interested to see how many of these I'll actually read, given that some will depend on library availability, release dates, and the books I receive from the Chaotic Goddesses Books 'n' Bloggers Swap.  I had around twenty-five books on my original list, but I narrowed the list down to ten books.  I'll probably read about a dozen books this summer, so I think that ten is a good number for now.














Please write a post and share your {tentative} summer reading list!  The link will be up for one week.


And now on to my book review...



This week I read The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.  Caroline @ Glitter Tart Designs recommended it to me, and I'm so happy that she did.  I literally fell asleep one night because I couldn't put it down (not because it had bored me to tears...it was in the wee hours of the morning).  I wish I had a book club with this on its list because I have many questions and comments about the book that I'd love to discuss.  This would be a fantastic book club read.

First off, you need to know that this book is heartbreaking on so many different levels.  Tom Sherbourne is a World War I decorated hero who returns to Australia with only one tiny physical scar.  Highly educated from a prosperous family,  Tom's emotional scars occur before being transported to the Western Front, and the war only compounds his grief and guilt.  But upon returning, he becomes a lighthouse keeper.  I can't imagine a worse punishment for anyone suffering from guilt, to be isolated with only your own thoughts to keep you company.

Before his first official posting on Janus Rock, Tom meets Isabel, a bold, vivacious young lady.  Both fall madly in love, get married a year or so later, and live an idyllic life on Janus Rock until Isabel has two miscarriages and one stillbirth.  Faith intervenes one day as a small boat lands on the island with a dead man and a small infant, a baby girl.  Isabel believes that God has sent her this child to replace the ones she's lost, and Tom hesitates to alert the authorities:  He even leaves a blank space in his daily log to go back and make things right.  Tom is also concerned that there might be a mother on the mainland looking for her lost baby, whereas Isabel is convinced that the baby is an orphan.  Fate, the myth of Janus, making changes, and forgiveness are important themes in the novel, but the parent's feeble attempt at overcoming the loss of a child, whether the loss is from a miscarriage, childhood illness, or war injury is the overriding theme of The Light Between Oceans.

What have you been reading lately?  What do you plan on reading this summer?



 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg


Until next time...

Blessings!
Ricki Jill

11 comments

  1. oh- I don't know if my heart could take reading that one- it sounds wonderful. You have some great books on your list. The Ocean At The End of the Lane jumps right off the page at me - I have to look that one up- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! I think I would lose it reading "the Ocean At the End". The Yard and Little Big look especially fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just ordered A Hundred Summers (I think that's the title?).. on Amazon. I like ordered from them because there are options for purchase and you don't always have to pay full price. I've heard of a couple of the books you've listed here:) I need to order a least one more for my summer reading list. It's been super busy and I'm looking forward to some down time to sit and read.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I need to read this book. Sounds great!

    I'm trying to schedule at least one day each week where the kids and I just read and craft all day. They are calling them Jammie Days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ricki Jill,
    I've just started the new Dan Brown book, "Inferno" and finished a set of detective/murder mysteries written by Tana French that take place in Dublin. I would recommend the Tana French series for those who enjoy murder mysteries.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like such an interesting book. I will have to keep my eyes open for it. If I read it, I'll let you know my thoughts - we'll have an online book club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some good ones on your list. My husband runs in to Jill McCorkle often (well he did when he was on campus). The premise of Life After Life sounds good.

    I'm wanting to read some Sherman Alexie and Aleksander Hemon this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title already caught my attention. For some reason, I love books that can bring me to tears. I have high respect for authors who can capture my emotion. Will add this in my nook Ricki!

    Btw, I added you on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's one I've looked up a few times! I really want to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Tiger's Wife and Life After Life are on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Little Big! I have that on my nook... :)

    I'll be joining this Friday for sure! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Comments are friendly!


Hello!

I'm Ricki Jill. Welcome! I'm honored that you're reading my blog. I enjoy sharing my creative lifestyle @ The Bookish Dilettante. For more information about my blog, please read the Start Here page. Thank-you for stopping by, and I hope you'll consider following me via email.

Follow me on Instagram